Discipline.... ah. ick. Makes me uncomfortable because it's confrontation. But, I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old ( ... and a learning 10 month old). Discipline is very much apart of our day. When it's not, things get outta control. ( Or, MORE out of control ;) ). I don't think discipline always has to involve someone getting in trouble. Discipline is a means of training. A runner is disciplined in running everyday to prepare for a marathon. When I first heard my friend Krista use the word "training" in reference to her children, my attitude towards my job as mama completely changed. We use the phrase "raising our children." That's ok. But, it takes on a new meaning in my mind when I think of it as "training."
Treson loves, loves, loves TV and computer games. My active, sport playing kid has turned into a couch potato. Now, he'll get up in a heartbeat if something entices him enough. I just hate that it is his first desire to be a bum. He's 4 for crying out loud. We are saddened by the fact that the first thing he does in the morning (well, after the visit to the men's room) is turn on the tv. It's just such a battle. And, I'm sure that it's my fault. He's occupied while I get everything ready for our day. The Bible teaches us to FLEE (as in get the heck out) from sin. I think his priority for tv is a sin in his life. As Treson's parents, we are still in control to strongly guide (as in what we says goes) his life. I am working on the discipline of responsibility and training him in appropriate priorities. For that reason, we are thinking about cutting cable. We used to not have it. We can go without. Just have to be creative in entertaining which sometimes I just don't have the energy for, honestly. I am convicted to the fact that by letting him watch too much tv, I am facilitating this sin. EeEk! Shouldn't I do something about that?
Anyway, just something I'm thinking about. "Train a child in the way he should go." I think my personal greatest commission in life is to teach my children not just to "be nice" or use their manners, but to be living examples of Christ. That's pretty loaded for a preschooler. Just one day at a time... perhaps by the time the days are through, God will look at them and say, "Well done, my good and faithful (and polite, well behaving, say-excuse-me-when-you-burp) CHILD."
Jon + Kate... I believe this media-drowning couple are fellow believers. While I'm sad to see what's going on, I'm also convicted that WE should be praying for them, not judging or questioning. I realize that they have made the decision to make their life public, but it is not my place to judge (as in, I have, forgive me, and I won't anymore).
2 comments:
The Lord convicted me about the t.v., too. That's why we have Sky Angel. I haven't sat down and watched t.v. since Live at Five the other day {:)} and I still feel like my kiddos struggle with too much t.v.
I'm with ya on Jon + Kate. Praying, praying, praying... and counting my blessings!
Great post girl, I totally agree with the word training our children. We are there mentors, examples and parents. It is our job to show them sin and how to deal with it. Our goal as a parent is to share the gospel with them everyday in our actions, words, and training, to pray for God to save them, and in all circumstances to train them in the ways of the Bible, not our culture. Thanks for the movtivation to continue on our parenting journey with joy and anticipation for all God has for our children.
Post a Comment