This is the 2nd verse of the summer that our fam has learned. The first was Ephesians 6:1, "Children, obey your parents in the Lord for this is right." Zoe says, "Chilren (yes, 'chilren') obey right." Works for me.
I marvel at small children that can spout off verse after verse. They usually know the popular ones like Psalm 100 and John 3:16. I also marveled at those children's parents at how wonderfully Christian they were to be teaching their children such things. Wonderfully Christian. Does that make me wonderfully Christian, too? I hope not. I was just telling my husband that there is a sin in my life that I have either a) had for a long time, but not convicted of or b) has recently entered in. Pride. It is not one that I divulge in, but rather have to fight ferociously. I feel it creeping up and I immediately -whether in a crowd or by myself- have to pray it away.
The Scripture memory with my kids is no different. I have started this with my kids because a) hiding God's Word in our hearts is crucial for Christ's followers, which I pray they will all be someday soon, b) I personally want to memorize more, c) we need to develop being in God's Word as a habit for us as a family, and d) need something to do with the kids and I figure this is pretty good.
I'm not really sure what "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, etc." means to a four or two year old. For me, I have had to really dwell on this verse because I know that I am not loving Him with all my heart, with all my soul, with all my mind (or "think" as Treson says thanks to the handy hand motions we use), and with all my strength. Most days it's "I love the Lord my God with a portion of my heart, all my soul, leftovers in my mind, and strength after naptime." In addition, my sin of pride gets revealed in this because I feel myself loving ME for teaching my kids these things. What the heck? How does teaching Christ-like living get so twisted? It's Satan. And, PRAISE GOD, that He allows me to recognize that so that when my prideful feelings of what "I" am doing pop up, I can rely on God's strength in me to suppress them.
So, here's the deal. I'm still a proud mama. I might ask my kids to quote you their latest verse. If I do, rest assured I've prayed through the pride to be the proud mama of THEM, not a prideful mama of ME.
Plus, it's just so darn cute.
1 comment:
i enjoy reading your blog posts so much. i had just told travis the other day madison was turning into a couch potato and it's all in our control to change it. also, the scripture memory is such a great idea. i think it's easy for me to think that madison is still too young for that, but why? why not start young and already have them excited and loaded with what is most important! thanks for the reminders!
Post a Comment