Years past and I figured out who "Santa" was. Whether or not I was disappointed, I don't actually remember. What I do remember is a conversation I had with my long-time friend, Staci. She was a mentor when I was a child, and a friend now as an adult. When I was a kid, after the Santa situation cleared itself, she told me that she didn't do Santa with her kids. WHAT?!?!? I remember this conversation like it was yesterday. She explained that the idea of Santa is a lie and that it was wrong for her to lie to her children. I questioned whether or not it was a big deal. Mind you, I was probably 10 years old or so at the time. I wondered, isn't Santa a part of Christmas? Something all children should get? Why is this a big deal? Our conversation flowed with me being bewildered, but so intrigued by the conviction of this mom to NOT celebrate Santa in her family.
I never forgot that conversation. Fast forward to 2005, my first Christmas as a mother. Treson was almost 1. I wanted to have Santa "come" to our house. My husband did not. At least while he's little? (All the while I'm remembering that conversation with Staci in the back of my mind). I began to pray about this issue because it had become a big deal for our family. The end result? A convicted mama. Santa is not real. Here's what happens to our children with Santa: They place HOPE (Will he come?), DREAMS (what kid doesn't talk about what gifts they will get at Christmas A-L-L Y-E-A-R?), and TRUST (if I'm good, I'll get ________) in a man-made character. Flip side to this problem: We teach our children to place their HOPE, DREAMS and TRUST in Jesus. Jesus, the real deal. Santa, not so much.
As a mom, I played out this hypothetical-but-very-possible conversation in my head: "So, what happens one day when my kids say, 'well, if Santa isn't real, then is Jesus?'" I answer "Yes, Jesus is real." "But, mom, you said Santa was real and now you say he isn't."
I goof up enough on my own thoughtless actions and words. Christmas time takes alot of planning. I've had plenty of time to think about whether or not to let Santa play apart in our family. He does not. We teach our kids (Treson is the only one old enough to get it yet) that people dress up like Santa, but that he is not real. He knows that Santa has reindeer and brings gifts to kids... as a story, not real life. On a gift note, it's mom and dad that bring those, not Santa.
I have to warn the teachers at school what we teach at home because my kid says that Santa isn't real. The first time I heard that Treson told someone that Santa wasn't real, there was another Christian parent in the conversation encouraging him that Santa is real. Trey and I discussed whether or not we should teach him that some kids believe in Santa and that we should keep "Santa's not real" to ourselves. We decided that at this time, it hasn't become enough of an issue to have that talk with him. Furthermore and more importantly, we don't want to teach him to keep his beliefs- especially those that are based on Biblical truth (Romans 12:2 as a reference for Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and many other things {some of which we fail miserably at})- to himself.
So many Christian parents- best friends that will probably disagree even- sell out to Santa for tradition, "preserving childhood," or wanting their turn to play and see that twinkle in their children's eye when they awake Christmas morning. As a parent who has ventured through the "No Santa, it's just me" waters, I can promise that kids do not lose that twinkle in their eye on Christmas morning. For crying out loud, there are presents under the tree!
As a Christ-following parent, I pray that the Lord convicts me when I "conform to the patterns of this world" and that he "transforms {me} by the renewing of {my} mind." (Romans 12:2).
5 comments:
This has been a prevelant discussion between Stu and I also. We agree 100% with you. As much as I love the idea of Santa, I absolutely can't find a justification for telling my child a story that's simply not true. In fact, what triggered it was hearing a child 9many years ago), in church, asking the very same question you mentioned: If Santa's not real, then what about Jesus? I have decided in our family we will play the "Santa GAME." I don't see any problem in going through the motions and pretending that Santa is coming as long as my kids understnd that this is a fun Christmas Game we play, not a real magical person who's showing up.
:-)
Great words Ashley, we have been on board with this from the beginning, even though our family doesn't agree. Good explanation and very encouraging to hear from someone else.
Leanna told me about your post! It is awesome! Brian and I questioned "doing Santa in our home". We agree with you completely and will not be doing Santa. We recently broke the news to family members who were quite disappointed. But we have to decide what is best for our family...what will encourage our children to put their focus on CHRIST not Santa during Christmas time! Thank you for your post and your Scripture that you gave! Its an encouraging reminder that this is right!
THANK YOU, Ashley, for this! Jason & I have had this same discussion... unfortunately it was AFTER we had already "done" Santa with Caleb for several years. Thankfully, my kids both figured out on their own that Santa is an idea - not a real person. We still play the Santa Clause Game on Christmas morning, but they understand that it's really Mom and Dad. I have explained to them to keep their knowledge of Santa to themselves ~ for the simple reason that my family would probably strangle me if I "ruined it" for their kids! It gets tricky at Christmas time, trying to play the game with other people's children - especially those not in your family, not knowing whether or not their family "believes" in Santa Clause. Hmmm~ there's a good chance I will share this blog with my family this year!!
you are not alone! we celebrated Santa in my family, not CHRISTmas, so it was hard for me to decide to leave my childhood out of it! Russ's parents also were santa fans-even with the costume. which Uncle Keith wears every year to pass out presents- he also wears it as he reads the christmas story in Luke, he practices for weeks. so my kids always will think that Santa is a 35 year old Downs man who happens to be their wonderful Uncle. and everyone knows Keith enjoys presenting...
Post a Comment