I tried it today.
Now, let me just start this message to say that it is not for the faint of heart. If what happened today would have happened a week ago, I would have been arrested as the first mother to ever put her children up for sale on eBay. I would have needed severe medication and possibly a tranquilizer. But today, God gave me enough grace to laugh. And take pictures. And so it goes...
Treson was asking to watch the 50th movie of the day. I diverted his attention by really getting him psyched over this idea of playing in the rice. He was so cute. Totally elated. He helped me find a container to hold the rice, measuring cups, spatulas, other random kitchen utensils, and Buzz Lightyear. We poured the rice and sweet little Zoe even pitched in on the fun. I began washing dishes, fantasizing that because they were so occupied, I might be able to finish what I had started. They were making a little bit of a mess. "Nothing I can't sweep up!," I thought. "I must thank Kathryn for this great idea. They are having so much fun!," I thought again. Mid-dish washing, Treson disappeared. I called out to him and just went about my business. Then I heard a mischievous laughter and heard the cat scampering across the floor. I'm sure you can imagine where this is going. I looked back...
Oh yeah. Treson had been chasing the cat with measuring cups of rice! It all happened so quickly. Rice made it to my office, my bedroom, the bathroom, and parts of the living room. Not to mention the "little mess" in the kitchen which really is that you couldn't walk in the kitchen without the rice. I was grateful for MLK Day because I finally had the chance to clean my office, which was an all day affair, mind you. And this is what happened two days later. I first thought, "Why me, God, why me?"
Treson offered to help clean up, but I decided he'd done enough. I just smiled as I felt the Lord's presence. Spiritual lessons come in all shapes and flavors. Mine came in the form of a Doguet's rice bag. As moms, particularly a mom of a preschooler, it's so easy to get caught up in the frustrations of life. Things I know for sure: Cleaning is pointless, but makes you feel like you did your job. Your children really aren't out to get you, even though it may feel that way. Laughing at life's "messes" is a matter of choice. When you have trouble laughing, it's time to get help! I have a trusted friend (ahem, my mom) that I call when I THINK I just can't take it anymore. I am so thankful that God gave me this gift today. I do it to Him all the time... mess everything up and He gently sweeps away my mistakes.
Kathryn did have a good idea... for Wellborn. On the next bad weather day, I think the Behns will just find somewhere besides home to be. Maybe Chick-Fil-A.
3 comments:
i made that mistake early this year too- and rice hurts on barefeet! (which is what happens if the broom you use has had a haircut by your 5 year old who was helping another day!) glad i'm not the only one. i think i took pictures too!
hi ashley! cute story - made me feel better - i can so relate! congrats on baby 3. :) hilary
This was too funny!! I actually tried this but with oatmeal...Hunter had a blast, then threw a fit when it was time to clean up (of course, right?)
Post a Comment