11.03.2008

"I know God is real, Mommy."



I have sooooo much to journal, but it is after midnight, so I'm going to start with the latest need-to-blog entry and work my way back.

Friday was Halloween (duh). Treson is big time into super heros (after all, he is one). He was taking a bath and we were chatting. He said, "Transformers & Batman save the world." He knows what pretend is, so I replied to him, "Transformers & Batman are pretend. Only Jesus can save the world." I could see his wheels turning and I just prayed as I saw this God-given opportunity to share the gospel with him. 

He's been learning Bible verses about salvation (thanks, Awanas!), so we've had many conversations in the last few weeks about God sending his Son, sin, obedience and truth. All hard topics to conquer with a three year old! Anyway, we talked about heaven and what a good place it is. I braced myself and told him about Hell and how it's a scary place where bad things happen. He knows what dying means. I related to him the parallel between pretend superheros (not being real) versus God (being real). I told him that everyone who believes that God is real ("really, really real") will get to live with God in Heaven & are forgiven (yes, he knows this word, too!) from sin (another new word). He just looked at me with the most honest eyes and said, "I believe God is real, Mommy." 

A wave of peace and the blessing of answered prayer fell over me. I really do believe that with all of our teaching at home, his Christian teaching at preschool and the lessons at church, Treson is beginning to understand God in the best way a small child can. I also believe that in that moment, Treson "confessed with his tongue that Jesus is Lord" and with that child-like faith, he does know Jesus.

2 comments:

laura said...

yes.yes.yes. this is how their faith begins. little by little, the Lord will speak His truth in the hearts of our children. rejoicing in the real-ness of his childlike faith.

Rebecca Gay said...

Don't you just LOVE those moments when you know that you are truly getting through to them? Caleb & I have been having those moments for a while, but Connor's have just started. I love when he crawls in my lap to tell me about his day & tells me that he "pwayed to Gawd" about a particular situation in his life or for a special person...he prays for Treson every day. (Isn't that what best friends are for?)