8.19.2010

Not to fester up old wounds, but let's just recap today, shall we?

Day 4 of no television.


I wish I could be admirable and say this week is Operation No Television. However, the situation just isn't such. It broke. Just zapped off right in the middle of Max & Ruby (see, God DOES love me!) and hasn't come back on since. 


My husband and I have actually been discussing either cutting cable or getting rid of the tv altogether for quite some time now. The kids fight over it, we get lazy with it, and not much good enters the mind with it.   But, I didn't mean now. Not when all the kids are out of school. Not when I have a big event for work coming up. Not now.


But, since the tv did get cut NOW, we have decided to give this no-tv thing a go for a few days before we do anything drastic. Like buy a new one. Strangely enough, without television the kids have fought alot less (it's summertime, don't all siblings fight with that much time together?) and have not complained too much about it. I think that's because so much fighting revolved around blasted cartoons! Even with regulating what and how much they watch, the television is a constant source of strife for our kids.


Days 1-3 of No Television were not tragic. Today is Day 4.


Today's scenario:
4 kids (ages 5, 3, 2, 5 months). 
1 mom who works from home with a HUGE event coming up for her business ("her" being me...). 
1 mom who is getting ready to homeschool for the first time ever (same mom, right here) and still hasn't looked over the curriculum. (I'm going to ruin my kid. I just feel it.) 
1 dad (the guy I'm married to) who was unable to come home until time to brush the kids' teeth for bed (the usual for a Wednesday for us- no biggie.)
0 friends to come visit today
0 cups of coffee to help


Here is a rundown of Day 4's events in no particular order:


I sort of got in time to read my Bible this morning.
Played nickjr.com games with superZ (age 3)
Handed over games to superT (age 5) to help superZ so I could finish said sort of Bible reading


Sounds fine. But then, it turned 10:30 and I'm not sure what happened after that. Again, no particular order.


superZ and superK (age 2) made their own kool-aid with me supervising from afar (and I use the term supervising loosely). Did you know Tang turns into a jell-O of sorts when 1,000 scoops are given to 1 cup of water?
superK spilled her cup. Had to get new one. "I do it" and there goes water allll over the floor.
superZ spilled her cup. That's 3 in a span of five minutes. My floor was so sticky my shoe came off my foot when I walked across.


Diaper Explosion of 2010 with superL (5 months) thanks to the Bumbo (I'm not a fan). Gave bath.


During aforementioned bath, superZ discovered where I'd been hiding my craft supplies...


Squashed catfight between superZ and superK over a babydoll.


Squashed catfight.


Squashed catfight.


Playdoh turned Dodge Ball. 


My potty-training 2 year old used herself as the canvas for a marker masterpiece (it was lovely!). She then went under the dining room table and pee-d (not as lovely). Did I mention the markers are washable? Let's just say she left me colorful footprints.


All supers made a slide out of couch cushions, stood on top of our toy cubicle thingys and somersaulted off. Over and over and over.


Fed superL baby cereal for the first time today. "Oh, I wanna do it!" Poor baby had 3 spoons in her mouth pretty much at the same time. SuperZ spilled bowl of cereal (4th spill 'o the day).


SuperK overshot on the potty. (spill #5)


Supers literally started climbing the walls.



After the wall climbing incident, I tried ushering everyone outside. "But, we're wild monkeys!" Oh. Well, that explains it. Sent them outside anyway.


Came back in for dinner. Just slightly afterward, I was assessing the damage of our home from the day with no tv, lots of playtime, some mom work time, and no downtime. And, there's a knock on the door. 


I opened my door, offering they may enter at their own risk. 




Not only did my sweet guests come in, but they came bearing gifts for the kids, folded the towels that had been sitting in the basket for 3 days, picked up the dinner mess, held the baby, and helped facilitate a clean up race in the living room.


Good thing because while I was letting them in, some kids were in the bath tub. They'd turned back on the water, filled it to the rim, and were sliding down the side of the tub. Yep, water water everywhere! I knew those giggles were far too loud...


While I'm washing the 542 towels it took to clean up The Flood, I will be thanking God for the memories we made today. And for the chance to renew my sanity on day 5 :)


I survived day 4. Surely day 5 can't be worse? Right? Right?

3 comments:

Carrie said...

So I am laughing out loud ... and am amazed at your ability to keep it real, girl!!! ;)

LOVE the pic of your kids in their underwear, climbing the walls!! I'm cracking up!!!

Lara said...

Yikes! We don't have cable, but I use afternoon DVDs and Wheel of Fortune as bribery for my 3 year old. I couldn't do it with no TV whatsoever!

Anonymous said...

you need to name yourself SuperA! Love your blog and I loved this one.. and especially of the kids ACTUALLY climbing the walls!