By Sunday night I realize...
- I didn't finish the laundry.
- I didn't get caught up on work.
- I didn't relax {headphones set to Kari Jobe, Ikea or TheNester.com & a bowl of cereal is always on the agenda}.
- I didn't upload those pictures I keep meaning to upload.
- I didn't clean out the garage (I'm in SERIOUS nesting mode).
- I didn't start the journals for my kids that I've been wanting to start for 5 years now.
- I didn't iron clothes for the week (not that I've EVER done this. I just want to and every weekend is the weekend that I plan to start).
- I didn't pray well, read my Bible well, or love well. I keep promising myself that "this" Sunday morning we will have peace in getting ready for morning church. Let's just say I'll try again next week.
- I didn't make my to-do list for my business for the week. Thus, I have no idea what I'm actually going to work on.
- I didn't let it go.
I know my husband does not sit down on Sunday nights and make a mental list like this. I'm quite sure it's a woman thing. Our mental lists run like Twitter updates. Things we think about just don't clear out. There's nothing like reading a Twitter update from 106 hours ago. Our minds are the same way.
Right now I'm listening to a song by Kari Jobe called "Beloved." Words sweetly sung read like this:
"Under My mercy
Come and wait
Till we are standing face to face
Till we are standing face to face
I see no stain on you My child"
"I sing over you My song of peace
Cast all your *cares* down at My feet
Come and find your rest in Me"
Come and find your rest in Me"
I'll bear you up on eagle's wings
And hide you in the shadow of My strength
I'll take you to My quiet waters
I'll restore your soul
Come rest in Me and be made whole"
I think my favorite phrase is "I see no stain on you My child." He sees nothing wrong with my I didn'ts! He promises to raise me up on eagle's wings. He promises to lead me by still waters. I can't say that I am able to let go of my I didn'ts, but I am able to b-r-e-a-t-h-e when the Holy Spirit reminds me that the expectations I place on myself are not the expectations that God Almighty places on me. You know, in the 1,000+ pages of my Bible (it's a study Bible, kinda long), the word iron is mentioned 10 times and not once is it in reference to wrinkled clothes?!?!?!? What a relief.
Will this Sunday night be any different? I hope so, but I'm prepared for it to be the same reflection of expectations unmet. I might sulk a little, but one thing is certain... God has set me FREE from dwelling upon that which I am unable to do and He rejoices over me, makes me whole, and invites me to sit by His side.
My kind of Man.
3 comments:
Whew, glad I'm not the only one with Sunday night guilt. This is great Ashley. Maybe I'll follow your lead and update my blog too. I just have so much junk in my head that I'm not sure I want to share. I usually have a pretty easy time running my mouth but I'm holding back these days.
Keep it up girl. I'll check back often.
Paula G. <><
P.S. I loved your iron reference!
I'm right there with you. I think all women need a Sunday night unwind. Mine consists of Cold Case and a glass of Chardonnay. I make it a point not to try and be productive at all on Sundays after years of laundry/ironing marathons on Sundays. It is the day of rest, after all. Chow down on your cereal and do some time wasting!
You are not alone!! Great post. :)
Post a Comment