My husband has been out of town for the past 11 days! Well, he had one night at home in there somewhere, but the stay wasn't even for 24 hours. My son, who is generally very comfortable with bedtime, was afraid to go to bed while daddy was out. (He's home now).
There was one night in particular where I saw myself in him--- a natural worry wart. He was afraid someone was out of the window or that a bad guy would get him. Can I just say how heartbreaking it is to watch your child be scared to tears? I was a worrying, fearful child- in elementary school I had to take medication for stomach ulcers. You should not have to take medicine for stomach ulcers at age 10!
Anyway, the daddy reminded me about the very first Bible verse he ever learned. It's a great one to go to sleep to, especially if you are afraid (or have a scared child). That night, we talked through superT's fears, prayed, and talked about a variety of promises found in the Bible. Here's the verse that brought comfort and eventually tried his tears:
Psalm 4:8
In peace I will lie down and sleep,
for you alone, LORD,
make me dwell in safety.
After repeating this verse several times, the boy slipped into a peaceful sleep.
And then, it did the same for Mama... :)
1 comment:
As a fellow worry wart and the mother of a few I appreciate you sharing this verse. I will dwell on it while I try to go to sleep :)
Post a Comment