12.12.2008

The Case for Color

I'm right in the middle of one of those dreadful battles with myself. There's a tug-of-war going on with my thoughts and I'm so caught up in it that I can't think about anything else. Do I? Don't I? Is it right? I'm so consumed with myself that I can't even breathe.

So, I do what any well meaning woman would do and I call up one of my oldest & dearest friends, Joneel.

"Hey Jo, it's Ash."
"Hey!"
"I-ya, I'm calling because
 {small pause} 
I... 
{smaller pause} 
need counseling."

Deep breath on the other end.

"Ok." 

"Sooooo.... I have a hair appointment tomorrow."

Riotous laughter erupts on the other end. "No, seriously," I explain, "I have a real dilemma!" I think I've lost her. She's still laughing, but Jo soon collects herself to really hear me out. Apparently talking about my latest hair-do idea is just not what she was expecting me to say.

Here's the deal. I recently cut my long hair to a short bobb-ish style after having baby #3. This is the third baby in 3 years, mind you. Perhaps I do need counseling, but of a different kind, if you know what I mean (yes, I DO know what makes babies). Anyway, back to the hair. I've had the new do for about 3 months and recently saw myself on television. I was watching the TiVo'd version of a monthly segment I am on for a local newstation. When I watched myself, I was just appalled at how dreary, weary & b-l-a-h that I looked. I immediately knew drastic measures must be taken which should no doubt involved changing the color of my hair. 

Herein lies the real dilemma. Hair color is expensive. At least to me, it is. Couple that with a hair cut (which I also obviously needed) and it becomes a trillion dollar investment. Well, maybe not a trillion, but somewhere around $100. Despite the "go ahead" I received from my husband, I have been tormented by the thought of spending that kind of money on my hair. Like many American families, money is tight at our house. I just felt so silly for spending the money and time on something so unnecessary for living when there are starving children in Somalia!

The Case for Color became a spiritual battle for me. It became an issue of self-gratification. Since when is Christianity about self-gratification? My husband and I have really been trying to work on owning and doing things that are true necessities only. (By the way, we are failing miserably). We are no doubt looking at the return of Christ very soon and we know that every minute counts. Somehow letting go of the extras in our lives has freed up space in our hearts (and home) to make more room for new things that God gives (not always tangible). Clearly, getting this hair-do did not fit in with our new mission. 

But, I still want it done. 

Ah! The torment rages on. This is killing me! I so want a pick me up on my exterior and, they say, "I deserve to do something for myself every once and awhile." Now, that might not be a verse in the Bible (I assure you it is NOT!), but I do understand it's relevance. So, here is how the Case for Color was solved.

I decided that because money does not grow on trees, I should not get the color. I decided that because, FOR ME, the color was frivolous, I should not get it done. I decided that because getting the color would not lead someone to Christ, I should not get it done. However, because I am a girl AND sometimes I just do things because it will make me feel better AND because I couldn't find a Bible verse that said, "Hair color is for fools," I am now a few shades blonder.

Blonder and slightly satisfied, I walked away from the salon feeling a bit guilty. However, God works in mysterious ways. My hairdresser's daughter had been witness to a horrific accident that took place at our city's Christmas parade just this past weekend. I think God used the un-ordained "me time" to be a listening ear as my hairdresser expressed her concerns and heartache for what she was going through. I have no doubt that God could have used the ashier hair colored me for His glory in some other way. But, through my worldliness that comes with just being human, God took the unique relationship between a hairdresser and her subject and turned it into a time for ministry.  

Who knew the Case for Color could be used for Christ by a once ashy-headed mom of three? To God be the glory by blondes, brunettes and redheads everywhere. 



5 comments:

Rebecca Gay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca Gay said...

You crack me up! Strangely, this blog just helped me make a decision that I was struggling with. Tonight, as you know, is our Christmas party & we are supposed to bring a $5 gift to exchange. As always, I am bringing something home-made, but could not decide if I should bring something I already had or go over-budget & make something that everyone seems to really want, just to make some lucky gift-stealer very happy tonight. I'm on my way to JoAnn's...Thanks Ash!

Melanie said...

I don't know if you would be interested in the future - but I always get my hair colored at the high school in Vidor. I have yet to be disappointed & it is only $25 for hair color. I promise they do a good job! & others will play with your kids while your hair is being done.

thecleggfamily said...

you are so funny! i think God uses us in all different ways....i'm glad you were able to have a great conversation with your hairdresser. i justify my hair coloring by only trying to do it like twice a year!!! i highlight when i just can't stand it any longer! i hope you are doing well with all the kiddos!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, man. I totally went through this recently. I feel so guilty spending money on my hair, but sometimes I just can't take it anymore! I recently took my color back to it's natural dark brunette to save myself some money for awhile. I'll let you know how long that lasts. I'll soon be blogging on my new mommy anti-aging theory. I promise it's applicable. :-)