12.22.2008

Luke 1:26-56

At church yesterday, Keith challenged us to put ourselves in Mary's shoes. Mary, Jesus' mom. So, I've been studying Mary's story in Luke this morning. When you are a mom and look at Mary's story through the eyes of your own mothering experience, it changes everything. 

When I found out I was pregnant with Treson, I was all but short of a brown paper bag needed for my impending hyperventilation. We had only been married for 5 months. A baby?!?! I mean, we wanted to have children, but not that soon. It's amazing the emotions that can come over a woman as she stares at those two little pink lines. Once I caught my breath, my brain started racing. How do I tell Trey? Should I come up with something cute or just come out and say it? Do I tell my parents? Call the doctor? Should I have eaten that for dinner? Is this for real?!?How can this be? I mean, I know, but... Wow. There's no turning back. I'm pregnant. Really pregnant. We are going to have a b-a-b-y! Like, as in, we are going to be parents. 

Forever.

In Luke, I find the beginning of Mary's story humorous. Vs 28-29 says, "The angel went to her and said, 'Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.' Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be." I relate this to the feeling of when someone you love says, "We have to talk" or "I have something to tell you." The anxiety of what the next few words could be is outta control! Anyway, I just picture Mary's eyes as big as saucers as she waits for what the angel has to say next.

The angel goes on to tell this young girl that she is so special that she is worthy of being called "Mom" to the King of the Universe. Wow, I know how much pride I feel when I think about my kids (well, most of the time). My kids are great, but her kid was going to be PERFECT! Geez. What a thought. 

All this is good, but the verse that has struck me the most this morning is vs 45. During Mary's visit with Elizabeth, Elizabeth praises her saying, "Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!"

Hmmm. Could this statement be applied to me? You? "Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." My husband said it all comes down to what God has told you. When I feel that God has let me in on His plan, do I believe it will actually come to pass or do I let my worry wart tendencies take over? It makes me sick to think that because I fret and have disbelief in His greatness for my life, that I miss the boat. That I miss blessings because I don't believe that what the Lord has said to me will be accomplished. 

Will we ever open that Christian coffee shop? Will I ever put my testimony on paper and share it with the masses? "Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished."

How's that for breakfast?



No comments: