12.05.2008

Feed the Children Campaign

I'm wondering if it is possible to feed my children dinner without burning it or without it coming from a cardboard box? Here lately they are promptly getting hungry at 4:30 and the meltdowns begin. I must hurry to meet their immediate need. IF I cook, it gets burned. Happens every time. Or, I just don't know what to cook and it ends up begin a quick pizza in the oven. So much for organic eating. 

I need cheap, quick recipes. Feed the Children 2008 is on. If I don't spread the word about this need, my children might end up malnourished or with warped taste buds. I must convince them that black bacon that crumbles when you bite it is NOT normal.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

ok--I can't believe I am the one dishing out recipe advice...very uncharacteristic of me ;) but I wanted to tell you about a great cookbook I got from Southern Living at Home. It's called the Busy Mom's Weeknight Favorites (or something like that.) Anyway, lots of super easy (as in even I can do it) and pretty tasty recipes that Asher likes and my husband will eat, too.

Melanie said...

Probably the healthiest, cheapest dinner I make is just beans & rice (& my kids love it). I just put a pound of raw beans (or the 15 bean soup) in a crock pot with 8 cups of water with a little bit of pinto bean seasoning, chili powder, or whatever you have around, and maybe a cut up onion (cut up very small) in the morning sometime. Then about 45 mintutes before we eat, I put brown rice in the rice cooker (can you tell I burn EVERYTHING too... crock pot, rice cooker to prevent burning). And then make some frozen veggies. A pound of beans makes enough for at least two dinners & you can put any other leftovers as a topping on a salad which is also yummy & super healthy.

Another handy kitchen gadget you might ask for for Christmas to prevent burning is a George Foreman Grill to cook chicken on.

And, I've learned that I will never remember to take things off the stove before the water is dried up and dinner is totally burned... so I just have to remember that I am going to forget & I use a timer all of the time! I can remember that I'm going to forget - but for some reason I can never remember to take the dinner off before it is scorched!

OK - probably more than you bargained for... good luck!

thecleggfamily said...

ok...another great cookbook i love...The One Armed Cook...it's designed just for moms with lots of kiddos!!! the recipes are fast and she tells you what to buy to speed things up even more!

and, i admire the fact that you even attempt to cook with three very young kiddos running around...i'd resort to easy mac everyday!!!!

Rebecca Gay said...

When Caleb was little, Jason and I learned to spend one night a week (usually Sundays) cooking together. We would cook 5 different, easy but healthy casserole-type meals and put them in the freezer in oven safe containers. When dinner time would roll around, all I had to do was stick it in the oven to warm it up & we had dinner in 30 minutes or less that I didn't have to stand over the stove for. I will email you some of my easy recipes! (We haven't done this in several months now due to new house preparation & moving...thanks for reminding me!)